04-08-2011, 09:30 PM   #6
markpetersonii
Staff Sergeant Type
United_States
Rep
Drives: 02 E46 M3 Vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakev724 View Post
I would recommend looking into the history. If it has one or two owners with the mileage spread out evenly over the course of it's life, that's much better than the last owner having owned it for under a year and driven a few thousand miles. The former would mean the car's mileage is due to a necessity for someone to commute far and would have been almost certainly highway mileage. The latter, someone picked up a cheap 335, played around with it for a few months/year, then got rid of it. Mileage/owner distribution can be seen in carfax.

The listing shows it's got a limited warranty. I'd make sure I trusted the dealership let me know that if something major went down with the car in the first few months of ownership (new turbos, etc.) that they would take care of it or take it back. Have this in writing.

You'll need to be mechanically inclined if you're committing yourself to this car. If an ignition coil goes bad (which it will), cost should be $50 to you, not $250. Otherwise this car will get very expensive. You also need to go in with a mentality of preventative maintenance (all fluid/filter changes, suspension, etc.) over mods. Not taking care of something ahead of time can come back and bite you. When I bought my car I did as much maintenance work as possible in the first few months so I had the peace of mind that everything was as it should be, even though the dealer told me they did a 'full service'.
Thanks for the advice about the background, I'll get that checked.

About the mechanically inclined thing, I like to think of myself as being mechanically inclined, I love working on cars and trucks. I've never really been one to bring in a car to a dealership. The only reason I would, is if there is warranty still on it or if I cannot figure out the solution through forums or through friends. I'm used to working on American though, this will be my first Euro or import for that matter (Not including my 2 GTOs, from Australia).

Thanks for the reply.
Appreciate 0