View Single Post
      09-17-2019, 04:15 PM   #869
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by N54Yankee View Post
I think you’re really jumping the gun here thinking that they already have these performance numbers locked down already.
This I am absolutely certain of. They have those numbers. One of the companies I used to work for supplied parts to a tier 3 supplier for GM (this is like my third cousin's roommate knows someone, but...). We got to work directly with GM engineering team on the development for the car the part is suppose to go into*. I actually have first hand knowledge of their development process as latter on I sat in on the weekly and daily engineering team calls, and I can say with a confidence and a CERTAINTY that they know exactly what those performance numbers are.

The part we provided to them had to go into those mules for their 100,000 mile testing. The production specifications were locked down more than 12 months before the first part was shipped to the tier 3 supplier for assembly. Unlike product development for a chair or a toaster, car manufacturers (at least the big ones) have specs locked down years before the vehicle start rolling down the production line. Product planning happen 5-7 years in advance and when you see camouflaged mules on the road, they're not testing for performance or tune or numbers, they're testing for mandatory miles and regulatory requirements.

*NOTE: The part we developed isn't vital to the car's operation, as evident by not being even involved directly but through a tier 3 supplier. Originally we were suppose to supply the part and assembly directly, but by regulatory standards we had to be qualified into one of the tier structures and it would have been cost prohibitive for us for the certification process.

But that's neither here nor there and not important to the discussion. Like I said, based on my experience, I am confident and comfortable saying that GM absolutely knows what all the performance data lies with the C8. What they chose to publish and NOT publish can be parsed 1,000 ways.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 1
Viffermike1753.00