armyav8tor
n1smo
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
Wish I'd seen these videos before my event... if you don't mind I'd like to ask you a few questions about several corners. I mean your approach obviously works considering the lap times, I am just wondering about a few things trying to understand what's going on.

The line the instructor recommended at Oak tree was to compromise 11, but I never felt too comfortable with that, I should have experimented more. Thanks for your thoughts...

Did you try various approaches to 14-14a-15? I saw the standard approach of late apexing for 14 and 14a, then the line my instructor recommended of essentially driving over 14, taking 14 with the right wheels on the inside curbs all the way and now there's your line which seems a bit different.

With stock suspension, when I entered the esses at over 120mph the car could just not settle between turns, so I had to bleed speed to get back in the groove. 115 was the highest I could enter while still managing the transitions with a small margin. I wonder if going over the grey curbs allows you greater speed, or if the springs make that much difference. But that's a dangerous place to experiment perhaps, so I am not sure I'll follow in your footsteps.

Interesting observations about 4-5-5a , I think I'll try your approach to next time and see how it feels.

Thanks for posting your videos and thoughts, it's been very educational.
I can't take credit for my fast times, I have to give all of the credit to Christian Thompson, my instructor. I think him and Mike Skeen are best friends so I'm benefiting from that friendship I'm sure. The lines are all his, the more advance techniques like using the single apex at Oak Tree, trail braking all the way around 11 and then be on the gas just before 12.

As far as 14-14a, the technique is to make it one corner by basically drawing a straight line from the back straight all the way to 14a then hug 14a on the right curb for as long as you can before going into 15, thus removing 14 as a corner all together.

The climbing esses, I think it is a combination of using the FIA curbing and the Eibach springs. The important thing is to have smooth, precise inputs. Stay left a little longer than the right, especially at turn 8, which will set you up for turn 9 because you want your steering wheel straight before you hit the crest at turn 10 or that little bump up there will unsettle the car and throw you off the track if you are carrying too much speed (or so I've been told by Chris).

It also helps to have a big pair. This was the 3rd time at VIR and HPDE. I did have 75 laps at the Ring under my belt which is where I grew my balls.
Appreciate 0