View Single Post
      11-24-2021, 05:37 PM   #23
trev230
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5C

Quote:
Originally Posted by eman4517 View Post
I just installed mine myself last week and I'm very happy with the results!

The OEM Competition black rear lip spoiler itself was relatively easy to remove. I did it in about 15 minutes with some fishing line and a heat gun, however, the residual 3M tape was A BEAR to get off! That part I did VERY CAREFULLY manually in very small sections at a time with GOO-Off and isopropyl alcohol and it took me about 2 hours!

I had IND pre-install the 3M tape underneath the spoiler and also checked the pre-applied ceramic box (my car has full ceramic) so installing the CS CF spoiler on the car was a breeze. Because it's OEM, it aligned with the trunk's lines very well and I installed the CS spoiler (after the trunk was prepped) in about 10 minutes. I just positioned it where I wanted it, then made a blue painter's tape template around it, pulled about an inch or 2 of the red 3M tape plastic back (on the bottom of each end of the spoiler), pressed hard for about 30 seconds, repeating with each several inch segment, until the end.

Here's some pics... (Incidentally, we just bought back our X1 (next to her) off-lease, that was a no-brainer with car prices the way they are...that was a steal!!)
Looks great. What you removed from the OEM spoiler is called Betalink. It’s BMW’s adhesive they recommend and use on all OEM spoiler parts. Just a tip in the future heat it up a little with a heat gun and take your finger and “rub” it in the direction of the glue strip and it will come off much easier and quicker. I’ve done several in around 2.0-30 minutes this way. I’ve never reinstalled a spoiler with the betalink though…Always used the higher quality trim level 3m adhesive and it’s never failed if you apply it correctly etc.. Sounds like you did a great job. Just wanted to let you know you can remove that betalink another way next time to maybe save you some time. That is some nasty stuff lol.
Appreciate 2
eman45171708.00
Jamesmick131.00