12-28-2014, 09:54 PM   #4
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
I live basically at sea level. Heading to my dads cabin for NYE and its at about 6500 feet. I've already started hydration, but what else can I do (besides coca leaves) to help fight off altitude issues? I tend to get raging headaches and my blood sugar can take a real beating, plus I tend to get very combative when I don't feel my best
Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
I'm with you on the headaches mate... Awful.
Headaches at 6500ft?

I get them at about 8000ft, but just drinking lots of water and taking it easy for a day usually helps.

When i go to altitude it's typically in Colorado, so i've become accustom to stopping in Denver for a night to help acclimation. Works very well for me.

Just a month ago i was out west and spend the day at about 8000ft. But i was at 5000ft the day before and 5000ft the day after. No ill affects from the 8000ft, though i'm not sure if it's because i was acclimated by the day at 5000ft or only being at 8000ft for a day. Maybe you can take trips to lower altitude areas during the days you're there? Should help you acclimate.
retty sensitive to altitude to feel affects at 6500ft. I've lived at sea level all my life.

The only time i got altitude sickness, like puking, massive headache, body ache, went to the hospital, etc... was when we went straight up to Keystone and had a 3 hour dinner at 14,500 only a few hours after arriving. Was not a good trip. Luckily, we were there for 8 days with 5 days of lift tickets. Cause i was down for the count for 3 days. Ever since then i make sure we either fly or drive into Denver and stay a night there. Still do mass quantities of water though along with regular Advil, at least 2 a day, usually before boarding.

Ultra hydration and acclamation is about all you can do though. You must be pretty sensitive to altitude to feel affects at 6500ft. I've lived at sea level all my life.