View Single Post
      07-09-2019, 01:09 PM   #43
RPI-M5
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5 Competition Frozen Bla

I've now crossed shopped Tesla twice against BMW, and BMW has won both times for me. Reasons:

1. I just couldn't square paying $130k+ for a Tesla with the interior fit and finish of a $40k base 3 series/Audi. Everything on the inside of the Tesla except for the central screen and instrument panel just looked and felt cheap.

2. Range Anxiety. I spend most weekends in the winter driving into the mountains for both resort and backcountry skiing. The main place where I ski requires a 90 mile drive with ~4800 feet of elevation gain, followed by the car sitting in a sub 32 degree parking lot for ~10-12 hours off a charger. Every time i've spoken with someone from Tesla on this use case, they couldn't confidently tell me I could make the round trip without having to charge up. The last thing I want to do on the way to or from the mountain is spend extra travel time charging the car.

That said, we are considering a Model Y for my wife as she wants a small SUV thats easy to operate, and good around town. Since she only drives ~5500 miles a year, 99% of her round trips are under 60 miles, and she has free EV charging at her work, it would make more sense than getting her an upgrade to her Volvo XC60.