View Single Post
      10-24-2019, 01:07 PM   #33
Salespunk
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan l. View Post
My point being that it doesn't cost BMW money to make these "improvements" but yet the cost increase is significant when you factor in the stuff they take away as part of the CS package "upgrade"
The costs associated with decontenting vehicles are more about changes in the production line.

Decontenting in general creates a sense of exclusivity/superiority as we all know. Porsche is a master of this and really kicked it off in the US with the RS America back in the 80's. From what I remember that car was less than 50 lbs lighter than a standard 911.

On an M5cs, it would be relatively easy to drop a lot of weight. Simple carbon buckets, sunroof delete, proximity censor delete (keyless entry/go), power trunk, etc. The problem is around how integrated those systems are into the vehicle. My guess is quite a bit so removing many of those systems might be much more difficult than it looks on the surface.

The other question is how large the real market is for a vehicle like an M5cs. Typical M5 buyers are more about having the fastest sled on the hill, not hard core track people that would notice the very slight weight decline.
Appreciate 0