05-13-2022, 06:06 AM   #439
chassis
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 9Y0 Cayenne S

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wills2 View Post
My take/story is that it's very simple but very hard to do consistently (and that is the key word) before the late unpleasantness, I'd trained for 30 years and whilst I'd never been "Instagram lean" or anywhere near it I'd always been in OK shape around 20% fat maybe 15% some years but let's call it 20% @ 190lbs and 5.11- 6ft (depending on the thickness of my socks).

During the pandemic I got into some real bad habits, stopped all training and started on the rich food and booze ended up putting on 30lb of fat and losing a load of muscle I was in an utter state inside and out, I have a narrow frame and am not built to weigh that.

14 months ago I started to exercise again went back to my old diet and cut the booze by 70% (but this time I calorie counted everything) the goal was to be in a 500cal deficit a day = 3500 a week = 1lb of weight lost per week (aiming/hoping for that to be fat).

I went back to the weight gym and then walked everyday 4 miles (I hate cardio running/rowing etc..) but this walking was really effective because I did it (that is very much the key) no point in creating a program you won't do, the most important thing is consistency and actually moving.

I did this for 6 months and saw real changes I lost around 20lb and my muscle/strength (such as it was) was coming back, but I'd learnt some bad habits during the lockdowns and they re surfaced after 6 months the nights drew in and it was colder so I slipped back and for 5 months I went backwards and put back on 10lbs. For the last 3 months I've been back at it and lost half of that 10lbs again and I vow not to repeat it again, I still have a ways to go to get back to a pre pandemic situation.

So back to where I came in it's a very simple equation to write down but a very difficult one to actually stick to.

Forget fads or trying to optimise muscle gains or losses with this or that (for most of us that's like a learner driver trying understand how to go through eau rouge flat out in an F1 car it's not going to happen) it adds complexity when you need simplicity to stick at it.

Eat less, Eat nutrient dense foods, move more and train harder than last time and drink less alcohol.... consistently.
Great post, thanks for sharing.
Appreciate 0