View Single Post
      12-16-2015, 11:22 AM   #1
ciscopete822
Major
Rep
Drives: RS6 , 840i and others :P

Audi S8 review

Hi folks

Decided to post up small review and initial impressions of my new toy - S8. As you probably know , it was acquired through ridiculously cheap lease deal few months back. I know this is BMW spot but we all are car enthusiast so why not.

Exterior:

Car is huge , sitting on standard 20" wheels , Daytona grey pearl effect skin. It has great road stance especially due to monstrous grill at front. Fit and finish top class. I do like looks of Matrix LED lights - very futuristic. Double glazing windows all over as well. Proper sleeper, maybe except for 15.7" rotors with S8 logo on callipers and quad exhaust throwing flames at the back.

Interior:

Now this is where S8 really shines. Extended leather package covers every single surface with top quality leather and I mean it - literally everywhere!! Instrument cluster is fantastic , gives that nice 3d effect. Obviously , Audi added huge S8 logo there as well to remind you that you are driving top of kind. Whole start-up procedure is really something special. Quality wise is tad better that 6/7 series or Maserati so to speak. Carbon inlays and aluminium all over the place. Yes , there are some unused buttons on dash - which is pathetic given OTR price of 85k. 22way seats , very large mirrors etc. Everything is controlled electronically - but that's expected in that segment. Illuminated door seals , ambient lightning and quality around you - I am sure that every single person travelling with me was like "now we talking , that is what premium interior should look like". Someone said that Mercedes S interior is a framework , methodology that will be used for next 50 years and Audi is following one that was created 50 years ago but truthfully , once you sit inside - you don't care , attention to details and quality are second to none. Feels special and expensive.

Performance:

I am blown away. It is hard to believe that something that heavy can be so quick. Car was clearly designed for motorways - to get from A to B , very quickly , ahead of schedule.
I went with standard exhaust but still nice crackles on downshifts etc. Car is a joke at quick bends but didn't get it to chuck at corners. Yes , there is artificial feel to steering but hey , you cannot have everything right??
It will kill , demolish and humiliate 98% of cars on road and then some!! Fantastic gearbox , kind of crazy in dynamic mode.

To sum up:

"you stop at traffic lights , M4 on your right, road is wet - hot blond girl sitting next to him , he starts revving , I am playing cool though - just waiting for light to change , applying brake , building trust........ next traffic light he aint revving no more "

Toys:

do I really have to comment here? Almost everything you can think off is standard , apart from B&O and night vision. MMI feels dated nowadays but there some nice features though - like full google map navigation etc. Bose system feels somehow better than HK in my beemers - probably because car is large and there is enough space for sound waves to expand. Good but not brilliant. Matric lights - sorry BMW but your adaptive LEDS are years behind it.

Best thing though - thanks to cylinder on demand system car is averaging 21 mpg city and 28 mpg on motorway!!! Put you foot down and single figures are achievable but who cares - car cost me tad over 500 a month!!!!

Have a lovely day BMW freaks - see ya at traffic lights

Name:  IMG_1826.JPG
Views: 867
Size:  128.6 KB

Name:  IMG-20151130-WA0005.jpg
Views: 860
Size:  167.6 KB

Name:  IMG-20151130-WA0006.jpg
Views: 834
Size:  183.7 KB
Appreciate 2