09-17-2014, 12:16 PM   #9
Nola 32/65
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 ZCP M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richbot View Post
Yeah, dry grip at 20F is still better than my all-seasons. The downside of runnig them below about 40 isn't really the lack of grip dry but wet traction disappears and once they are cold for extended periods they will never be the same again when it warms up again. Summer/r-compounds don't like extended cold, and the outer tread blocks of the PSS are a near-r-compound
Great information. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscarrol View Post
Slightly different tire but I drove Michelin PS2 tires year round here in N.O. with no issues. As other have pointed out, when the temps drop just be aware of the reduced performance of the tire and adjust your driving accordingly.
Yea, we drove on the PS2s last winter also and didn't have any problems but we were both also still learning the car in general since my fiancé got it in Nov and its just a weekend car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben@tirerack View Post
One thing to note is that when you live down south, even if it gets cold for a week, the ground doesn't freeze the way it does up north in the middle of winter. So the pavement won't be as cold as it would be in the middle of a northern winter when it's 20 degrees.

All in all, summer tires year round in southern Louisiana should be fine. If you do happen to see any snow though, don't drive in it. Most southern cities pretty much shut down if it snows, so that should be no major issue.
I didn't think about the core temp of the ground not getting that cold, that's a very good point.

Speaking of the south shutting down, we had a couple days of ice issues last year, not even snow and our entire infrastructure was shot to hell lol. All of south La shut down for a few days each time, my fiancé's hospital went in hurricane prep mode and went on lock down. It was pretty crazy how some ice on the roads shut this area down.