03-13-2024, 07:17 AM   #52
pmsteinm
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 23 M5C, 19 X5

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEW67 View Post
I just had my coolant topped up for the second time in probably 6-8 months. This most recent time, my SA said the tech's supervisor looked for a leak and couldn't find one. How does the coolant level go down if there isn't a leak somewhere? Is that even possible?
You are right that there must be a leak. The problem is it can be so slight that the pressure test isn't long enough to detect it. I have found the coolant level changes a lot with temperature so make sure when you check it is at the same outside temperature with the car completely cooled off. But if the level drops over time at same temperature there is a leak. Could be cap, tank, hoses, head gaskets, etc. I am pretty sure I had a cap leak and after they overfilled during a leak test and it all leaked out it seemed to fix my cap issue. Maybe it lubricated the gaskets or something. Either way i check for white spots every time I was the car.

Oh in fairness to the dealer, ISTA says to overfill the tank when filling. Not sure how that squares with "don't get coolant on the injectors". Sigh. German engineering.
Appreciate 0