Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 MG/SO

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmnc02 View Post
I tried coding ASD off today (just setting "ASD_SOUND_OFF" to "aktiv" in HU_NBT, without changing the settings in the ASD module) and I coded it right back (well, actually I did go back and forth twice to confirm).

I know I seem to represent the minority opinion, but to me the sound without ASD is too muted and somewhat shallow: I find it quite unsatisfactory and providing insufficient aural feedback. At least with the stock exhaust and without the valve mod.

I never found the car too loud (but I have driven M cars since 2002): the main motivation for me to try to turn ASD off was that occasionally it seems to overpower the amp or the speakers, creating distortion, which then makes the artificial sound enhancement quite obvious. However, given the choice between occasional distortion and ASD off, I personally find the occasional distortion the lesser evil.

I will try coding ASD off again if I decide to upgrade the exhaust system.
+1 My main reason for disabling it off was also the interference w my music listening. But I only came to realize that I had it partially removed using HU_Nbt and it was still providing some feedback until I stumbled on this thread.
Now w it completly disabled, I also miss the downshifts rev match and the car is really quiet unless I push it above 3k rpm in S/S+ mode. I will continue driving for few weeks and then decide.
Appreciate 0