View Single Post
      03-21-2018, 11:04 PM   #102
vtknight
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 F90 M5 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick3753 View Post
Comparing a GT-R to M5.... the R35 started production with 2 years left in the e60 M5 life cycle for Christ sake. Yes, 10 years and 2 generations later the M5 has caught up in performance. . The F90 is a beast no doubt with amazing performance, but the GT-R was groundbreaking performance, especially considering its price. It deserves respect for its time (which is well passed now). And it's a shame that the focus of M cars (at least from discussions I've been seeing on this forum) is now becoming 0-60 times and trap speed.
It's a fair point, believe me when I say I hold nothing against the R35 lol. It is actually 11 years old having being release at the Tokyo Motor Show in 2007. Again - my point is that we live in a great era for performance where GT luxury cars are putting out these kind of numbers - stock. As to the straight line performance numbers - I hear you again - but the time of the E39/E60 is gone for any manufacturer. They are all big cars (the 5 series now as long as the 2000 7 series). They just are not the nimble track capable cars they once were. They can do it - and with the power - a lot of fun - but it is hard to hide that heft.
Appreciate 0