08-15-2017, 12:40 PM   #87
SlammedR8
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i/2020 R8 V10 Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tux View Post
Stupid question: why is the new M5 still using the F code instead of G?
Quote:
Originally Posted by infamousq View Post
BMW separated the M from the normal line with the current M3/4 so it is expected for them to do the same All of them seem to be in the F80-F99 area.
I think you misunderstood the question, he is asking why isn't it a Gxx, G90 for example instead of F90. You are right, BMW separated the M models from the regular 3/4 series by calling them F90 vs F30. But in this case, BMW calls the regular 5 series a G30 but still wants to call the M5 a F90 while its built on a G body chassis now. Makes no sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyrix1st View Post
I dare BMW to use G code when they use the same fucking engine. The least they could do is be honest about it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mundo74 View Post
lol. because it's not much different that the f10 to use the g code.
You guys are wrong, at the end of the day the G or F pertains to the body/chassis. Not the engine being used. I do not believe they kept the F in the name because the engine is the same as the F10. I don't have the answer as to why they did it, I don't think anyone does except for maybe SCOTT26 but he hasn't been kind enough to share it with us until now. The F or G designation pertains to the body/chassis and this body/chassis is based on the G30 platform, so no fucking clue as to why they decided to call this a F90 instead of say G90 for example.
2020 Audi R8 V10 Performance Spyder 6MT - Ascari Blue/Black
Appreciate 0