View Single Post
      04-19-2005, 10:08 PM   #1
mfstout
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 328i Coupe

e90 in Chicago (3 Across America)

OK, so I just saw the e90 in the flesh both during the day and at the fancier evening unveiling here in Chicago. No pics because honestly I couldn't add anything new there. Here are my impressions:

First, I keep hearing about these 3 across America things being badly coordinated. This one was well done. Especially at night. Great food. Nicely handled. The guy who spoke both times today was the brand manager of the 5 and 6 series (I told him they should have stuck the front from the 6 on the new 3-he seemed to think that was a very good idea-apparently no one had ever mentioned that before. Odd.) He knew his stuff backwards and forwards. He was awesome. He even told me that the choice I was making (new 2005 e46 ZHP vs new e90) was a tough one because they're both great cars in their own right. He did tell me that the top brand guy on the 3 drove it all over the NE and, even though that guy's the one who actually championed the ZHP movement, he thinks the new e90 drives like nothing EVER. Great agility and control when you need it but with all the comfort you want when you're not pushing the car. The point is, this guy wasn't selling me, he was being honest. He rocked.

Now, to the car.

It is NOT amazing in person. It's nice. I keep hearing people gushing, and they have a right to their opinion, but it is NOT amazing in person. True, some of the photos do not show you the true look of the car because that's just what lenses do. They tend to make the car look wider and more bad-as_. But, IMO, it's interesting, but it's NOT, I repeat, NOT amazing.

The doors seem to be taller than the e46, so less window space. They are definately more slab-like. The front does not look like a Pontiac. It's OK, but it's trying too hard. And although I could live with the split-grille, it's just stupid. The front of the Z4, M5, 6 and M6 are all vastly better than the e90's front. There must have been 50 BMW's parked in the parking lot by Soldier Field and they ALL looked better than the e90. Every one of them. There was this red Nelson Mandela-signed e46 that was sweet. Cleaner lines, more sedan-like, classier. Sorry. The e46 still looks BETTER than the e90. It looks smarter, more grown-up, not boring, just simpler, not as loud. Like the quiet guy who walks into a bar with black blazer, jeans, no tie, hair's a bit messed up, but just exudes class. Doesn't need to show off.

Now, on the other hand, wheels on the 330i sport look just as awesome as they do in pics. They are one of the best looking wheels I have ever seen on any car. Well done. Back of the e90 looks fine. Never understood the fuss about that. Lines on the side look nice. The sweep forward of the car is nice.

Inside, well, all I can say is it's just fine. Clean, classic, simple. I like the e46 interior, but I had NO problems with anything on the interior. Materials felt nice. Wheel is nice. Reminds me of M3 sport wheel. Sports seats are way better to me than non-sport, but it's all subjective. Black leather looked nice and I hate black leather. Beige was nice but should be much more two-toned in execution. No Terra on hand (Hmm, I wonder why. Maybe because the real pics I've seen look AWFUL!!!) I prefer the darker exterior colors, but I heard many people liking the silver.

This car is NOT bigger inside!!! No, no no! Anyone who tells you it's truly bigger is, in my opinion, dreaming. Sorry to all of you who think that, but come on. It's a true 3 inside. The only real difference is the slight cut-out in the back of the front seats. Rear-passengers get a bit more knee-room. Otherwise it's just NOT bigger. Of course, I never thought the 3 small, so I'm fine with that. And sitting in the back felt good. The sides on the back seats felt very nice. Held me in like my Mother used to do when I was a baby. Uh, sorry. Ergonomics were fine. I liked being inside this car. Slamming doors felt almost as good as an e46, but not as good. That's cool.

People kept opening the hood, but I didn't come there to stare at a cold engine. I drive with the hood closed.
Appreciate 0