View Single Post
      10-09-2007, 08:02 AM   #19
Garrett
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2004 330ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPower View Post
That was something that I have been mentioning in other threads but some have ignored it. The oil cooler is only covering up the greater issue which is that this engine runs much hotter than it should.

And Garrett, the OP posted an article which mentioned the 2008 535i having the same problem. You like to think that this problem is gone, but it certainly isnt.

Listen,

All turbocharged engines run hot without the use of an oil cooler. How many turbo charged engines don't have an oil cooler..?

Secondly, a lead engineer from BMW has said the N54 runs hotter than most engines, he stressed this was somehow related to BMWefficiencydynamics.

Thirdly, I have not heard of a 335i/535i WITH an oil cooler overheating. Have you..?

Suggesting that the oil cooler is covering up the fact that the engine runs hot, is like saying that a radiator hides the same fact. BMW is so confident in it's engine building they decided to sell certain biturbocharged cars without an Oil Cooler. Why..?

Nobody knows, but the simple fact of the matter is that there ARE 335i's with no oil cooler that don't overheat. To me, thats remarkable.

"The Problem" is that BMW is still selling cars without an oil cooler. The good news is that the car itself won't be harmed because it will protect itself and go into limp mode if it reaches 302 degree. In which you can then take it to the dealer and get your free oil cooler installed!

This seems to be a concern of many people and I don't blame them. But when reality sets in, many have watched their oil read 280 all day long but never hit 290. Alot higher than normal and what we are use to, but then again, this isn't a normal engine and 280 degrees is normal for this engine. It's just scary because we are use to low 200's.

Either way, even at it's severest level it is not our problem, but BMWs.

-Garrett
Appreciate 0