View Single Post
      10-08-2007, 04:04 AM   #11
Stay a while and listen...
Rep
Drives: vr4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPower View Post
The oil cooler is only covering up the greater issue which is that this engine runs much hotter than it should.
Very true! Many people try to brush this off as a fix all end all. Or say that it is fine w/ synthetic. Some say its because of cylinders 2 and 6 (or whatever). Regardless of what it is, the fact of the matter is that they have had ample time to rectify the problem and they haven't yet. This is their first turbocharged motor in a long time... I figured it would take them a few tries to iron it out, but there are not that many issues that can cause a motor to overheat.

Now it seems to be more prevalent with auto cars and the oil cooler(normally std on turbo platforms and im suprized it didn't come w/ one to begin with) obviously lowers temps. But there are cars w/ the retrofit that still limp home.

There are ways of 'fixing' an overheating motor.

1. Lower the T-stat operating temp
2. Increase coolant flow/pressure
3. Use more water than coolant
4. Larger radiator
5. re-torque the heads
6. Increase airflow
7. Introduce a wetting agent to the coolant, ie: "water wetter" (Imo the greatest benefit of these products is that they raise the boiling temp of the water, reducing the possibility of hot spots)
8. etc.

However this should not be necessary for a properly designed motor. I think it is worth mentioning that not all n54's 'overheat'(to me this says 'quality control') and the ecu doesn't let it actually overheat.

Zak
Appreciate 0