View Single Post
      10-07-2007, 01:18 PM   #1
Devon K
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: TBD

Nasty experiences with the twin-turbo...

This from the Globe and Mail in Toronto:

Quote:
The 1-Series Cabriolets will take on the same engines as the coupes, so the 128i will get a 3.0-litre 230-horsepower inline-six, while the 135i Cab will get a twin-turbocharged version of that same engine, to the tune of 300 horsepower (that's what claimed, but it's likely more), and an equal figure for torque.

This engine has impressed all who've driven it, and garnered Ward's International Engine of the Year award for 2007, but various owner and media reports about engine overheating are somewhat troubling.

Numerous 335i owners have reported common overheating issues at high altitudes and at race-track days with this engine, a characteristic I experienced myself when an aggressive charge up a mountain road in a manual 535i led to a bank of warning lights and limp-home mode until we pulled off the road. Ten minutes of cooling off later, our 535i was fine, but even the technical gurus at BMW's Car Club of America website are saying that the 3.0-litre TT engine may not yet be up to hard-core racetrack duty.
Yikes - those buying the 135i sight unseen are really going to be rolling the dice! Here's hoping this overheating will be addressed with a few engine mods prior to release....
Appreciate 0