TFBravo
Some Guy
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 GX460, 2022 M5C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
The 3.0L of the S58 won’t spool turbos as quickly as the 4.4L of the S63 — you read of lag with the S58 but not the S63. It is that sudden, early torque that is hardest on rods and that also creates the greatest opportunity for detonation. Careful tuning in the S63 to limit boost at lower rpm can help extend the life of the rods on modded motors.

Aftermarket rods and pistons are made by several companies. And there are a number of shops building the S63 in Europe and the USA; some change only the gods and some change both pistons and rods, depending on power goals. Not cheap at $15-25k just for the built long block and $5000 more to install it. Add bigger turbos, intercoolers, supersprint exhaust manifold, upgraded intake manifolds, cams to drive the fuel pump faster for E85, and you can easily double that. Building a motor was not holding these guys back. I suspect they will blow up their current motor and build a stronger one.
Thanks for the write up, that makes sense. And yes the 30k for a build motor is generally the price range for what I've heard and seen. It seems to be the sweet spot for AMGs as well when it comes to rebuilding their drive trains and adding cooling mods. The mods you describe would probably be another 30k right?

I would assume this is why the B58 and DAZA platforms are so popular is you can make the cars just as fast for half the price including better internals.

This instant torque at low rpms or when there is "bogging down of the motor" situation is what scares me doing a simple tune. Isn't there a thread on here of someone bending rods like that on just some downpipe and a tune?

Do you think the S68 will be a better platform, more robust to be in a 800/900 tq range? These TT V8s are easy to make power with, but I'd like to have longevity.
Appreciate 0