View Single Post
      04-08-2007, 08:40 PM   #20
bhvrdr
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insider View Post
The above statement is not accurate for the BMW. In manual mode, the auto will hold gears. For example, 5th gear full throttle at 1,500 rpm, no downshift. The key is to put the trans in DS mode, then hit the paddles which puts it in manual mode. Now you can give full throttle with no downshift. You can't hit the kickdown button at the very end of the throttle, though. Not hard to do as there is noticable resistance there, and you are at 100% power when you feel the resistance right before the kickdown button.
I did notice this and just didn't mention it. I am familiar with BMWs dating back to an older 525i I had 10 years ago. They all have a button below the throttle pedal. I'm sure there is a way to disable it and that is what I would have to do in order to consider it track worthy. Trying to keep your foot from depressing it all the way works fine on the street, but on the track you are going either full throttle or full brake and don't have the time to finesse trying not to stomp the pedal too hard. And it will upshift when it hits the limiter. This is unacceptable when coming up on a turn and not wanting to sacrifice another upshift before going into the braking zone. The audi does this as well. Good point to bring up though.

cheers! Mike

Last edited by bhvrdr; 04-08-2007 at 08:45 PM.. Reason: .
Appreciate 0