Quote:
Originally Posted by euro* View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverik259 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe-BMW33 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by euro* View Post
For euro lights. You either have to run 2 new wires from the 2 inner tail lights all the way to the front of the car to the BDC module.

Or the easier way is to run the wire from the inner tail lights, to the outer lights. Make a new wire from PIN#5 of inner lights and run it to PIN#2 of outer light, same for both sides.
Thank you. Since posting this question my shop informed me of the first choice, running from BDC (which increased he cost of the install). I will run option #2 by them.

So, from what I have gathered over the last few days is that the Euro lights will work perfectly on a US car including the welcome lights, but the blinker is a small amber strip on the bottom of the inner lights which may not be DOT compliant. Does this all sound accurate?
I haven't seen anyone say that euro lights don't have the welcome lights issues. But I could be wrong. The two threads are very confusing and most people discussing this issue don't really seem to know what they're talking about. My guess is they just paid someone oe their dealer to install and have no idea what works and what doesn't.

But I think they all have that issue and Several people doing the mod I believe got the euro version from eBay Germany if I recall.

Simply, I don't recall a single person in the US say they got welcome lights working regardless of what version they installed. Which makes me think it's a US software build issue and not a hardware one.
Not correct. I know of guys in USA who have euro
lights and they don't have welcome light issues.

One guy actually got both sets. First he installed USA lights, had welcome light issues, and then switched to Euro lights, no welcome light issues.
That's good. I haven't seen any evidence of that on here or I would have gone for the euro version myself. Oh well. Times like this make me wish this forum was a bit more involved by its members. Way more input and useful information on the X5 forum than I have yet to see in the year of owning my M5. Shame really. Too many older gents I guess who can just pay someone else to figure stuff out for them. Haha

So euro* just so I'm clear. You can install the euro version, and simply run a wire from the inner lights to the outer lights (not to the BDC) and retain full functionality AND no welcome lights issues?

I also couldn't find euro lights for as cheap as the US versions. Paid less than $1k usd and didn't see any for under $1700 on eBay etc.
I have a supplier who has them (Euro) readily available for $1,100 shipped no tax. US lights are $1,000 plus tax and will take 6-8 weeks. If I move forward I would be paying two people to do the work for me, shop to install and coder, but make no mistake, before I pay someone to do something I know exactly how to do it myself, including running the wires from the BDC. I have the schematics. I just would rather pay someone more skilled to rip apart my trunk and also run a few wires from the passenger footwell to the inner tails.
Ya my dealer is going through Germany to get them. But paid $990 + tax and free shipping. Supposed to be end of the month when they arrive.
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 0