06-16-2022, 12:24 AM   #85
Pzl1nz00
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 Comp LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by 620turbo View Post
So, massively dissapointed in the Bowers and Wilkins in my 2022 M5.

Had a G30 540i with HK before and this was better. I believe the issue is the complete lack of warm and substantial bass.

Started investigating subs and amps but had a mess about before I pressed the button as this is a new car and I don't want to be messing about, nor should I have to considering the expense of this option.

So, I have been messing around with the EQ and settings, a lot the last 2 months since I picked up my brand new car.

In EQ, obviously boosted 100Hz, the lowest frequency to try and address the woeful lack of bass depth. This seemed to make it worse or at least did not address the lack of warmth in the overall sound.

I therefore got some test tones on a USB stick, 40Hz, 60Hz, and 80Hz.

I was flabbergasted to see that when playing these test tones, my adjustment of the lowest eq band, 100Hz did absolutely nothing.

I then moved the Bass up and down and this changed the amplification of the sub 100Hz frequencies.

However, when you move Bass or Treble, it pulls up the other frequencies, which makes it sound crap again.

The solution is to therefore counter this effect of increased mid bass by the eq.

My eq setting are therefore as follows and have addressed the issue. It now sounds acceptable to me and has at least a decent amount of depth.

Set everything to middle (0), including bass and treble:

100Hz -3
200Hz -3
500Hz -2
1KHz -0
2KHz 0
5KHz 0
10KHz 0

Bass +10
Treble +2 to +6 depending on tune
Fader -2 to -3 depending on tune

Sound stage - Studio. Some of the other sound stages sound good but as other posts, seem to lose some of the already seriously lacking sub-bass.

Hope the above helps.

No idea why the system is like this in these cars. Someone seriously messed up. The above settings address this to a certain extent and make the system sound much more premium.

I will still consider getting a sub but at least now I can listen to it and smile, albeit more marginally than I would perhaps have liked.
Your EQ settings don't do the system justice. Granted, everyone has a different ear and preference as to what sounds good.

I myself, tend to gravitate towards flat responses which allows me to listen to the music/content as it was intended. I hate over-processed audio or when EQ settings deviate too far from a normal flat curve.

Follow my video and I suspect you will actually like the system and how good it is!
Appreciate 0