06-26-2019, 02:34 AM   #47
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc16 View Post
since my engine knock issue at 3000km im worried i messed up the break in procedure. do you guys think it was just a faulty engine or the way i broke in the engine? Did hard pulls to 5-6k rpm might of redlined briefly a few times. i always waited till the oil gets to the middle of the meter before i push the car. i might of babied it for the first 2-300km but it was 100km home from the dealer on the highway. Went over 200km/h briefly a few times as well it was just hard to keep it within bmw instructions. Drove the car in manual lots to vary the rpm especially during highway driving(lots of downshifting). There seem to be many of you that dont follow the recommended break in procedure as well so please tell me if i did anything wrong. Bmw is currently swapping out my engine so i would like some tips on how to break in the new engine when its done. Thank you
IF you as you say warmed the engine up and did not exceed 5.5K rpm that should be fine. I think your engine had a fault, not your running in procedure, if BMW thought it was down to your driving they would not put a new engine in the car at there expense.
jc1622.00