View Single Post
      05-24-2017, 12:22 AM   #1
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Notes and details from seeing F90 M5 live at BMW M Discovery Room event in Belgium

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Last night (May 23, 2017) BMW M Belux (Belgium + Luxembourg) organized an event in a warehouse, mainly celebrating the launch of the all-new "BMW M League" (loyalty program for BMW M customers).

Hundreds of BMW M cars attended the event. Pump & stance: DJ playing dance music, speeches, dancers, meet 'n greet with an actor and a DJ, M cars doing donuts in a controlled environment (filmed with a drone), food and drinks, present bags, etc. Yeah, we were spoiled by BMW M.

As a bonus, BMW M had sent over a blue F90 M5 from Garching. It was on full display in a well-lit "discovery room". Prior to accessing the room, visitors were required to put their smartphones into a pouch. Security closely supervised that no-one took pictures inside that room. Of course we respected that. Visitors were allowed a lot of freedom: you could open the bonnet, open the boot, sit inside the car (front and rear seats), toy with the iDrive, touch the car, etc. No engine sound though.

No VIN on the windscreen visible (black blank). However, as visitors were allowed to take a look under the hood, I checked the VIN stamped inside the engine bay as soon as the hood was opened by someone, and memorized it: WBSJF01010G499957. When you run that VIN through a BMW Decoder, you get the specs shown below.

What BMW M officially said during the event about the F90 M5:
  • exclusive F90 M5 avant-première (early sneak preview, as the official market release is not scheduled this year)
  • 0-100 km/h (0-62mph): less than 3.5 seconds
  • power: 600 hp (that info is confirmed by the 441 kW figure in the VIN specs = 599.6hp [metric hp] or 591.4 hp [mech hp])
  • torque: 700 Nm
  • M xDrive - choice to toggle between 2-wheel drive / 4-wheel drive in the iDrive settings (see also the dedicated thread here and the M xDrive 'Jumping Jack' BMW commercial here) (by the way, also another "Where Too Much Is Just Right" future BMW M commercial was shown featuring a child 'teased' by an adult driving an M car).
What I remember to have seen:

- Exterior:
  • Marina Bay Blue Metallic body color (C1K)
  • full leather Merino/Silverstone upholstery (X3A9)
  • two tone 20" wheels (black/silver) (706M wheels) with massive yellow carbon ceramic brakes and huge brake discs
  • all-new Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires - 20" - 275/35 front and 295/35 rear
  • double-bubble carbon fiber roof
  • LED adaptive head lights with the new open coronas design rolled out to all latest models + 'connecting' towards the kidneys
  • rear lights with the 'swing' design rolled out to all latest models
  • small side gills à la M3/M4
  • black kidneys
  • diffuser next to the chrome quad pipe exhaust (exhaust tips with a vertical cut à la 1M/M2/M6 - no diagonal cut à la M3/M4/X5M/X6M)
  • rectangular fuel cover lid (no circular one as on the M2)
  • vertical red reflectors on the rear à la X5M/X6M (broader and shorter than those of the M2)
  • chunky M side mirrors with the classic upper stalk
  • typical discreet M Gurney flap on the trunk
  • quick peak under the car: noticed nothing peculiar as far as I could see (limited slip differential housing/cast visible of course).
- Inside:
  • some will say 'lavish' interior - others may say 'busy'
  • full digital instrument cluster (optional) - 4 meters and drive mode info on the top part - V-max speedometer: 330 km/h
  • broad SATNAV screen
  • red/bordeaux start/stop button
  • small red/bordeaux M1 and M2 paddles for personal settings (connected to the top part of the steering wheel, rather than integrated as buttons inside the steering wheel)
  • front interior featured some shiny grey trim, likely some smooth dry carbon (neither open-pore CF used inside the M2, nor the 'wet' CF used inside the M3/M4)
  • chunky leather M steering wheel (no 12h marker)
  • tiny discreet mud flaps (grey/black plastic) mounted on the top part of the rear wheel wells
  • sensors on the lower part of the front intake (bumper) and, except if mistaken, also an eye between the kidneys (apart from the 'Connecteddrive' on the top part of the windscreen)
  • 'complex' 8-speed M Steptronic gear stick
  • cup holders section covered with a sliding curtain
  • M5 logo lights up inside the top part of the sports seats + inside the entry door sills (à la M3/M4)
  • no strut brace à la M3/M4 inside the engine bay (4.4 litre S63M engine) - rather small braces à la M2
  • hood: I don't believe to remember a powerdome - didn't pay attention to that
As I ain't familiar with the F10 M5, I won't be of big help in answering detailed questions you may likely have. Have to go by my memory, and the time spent with the car was limited (though you were allowed to stay as long as you wanted). For sure I forgot to check a lot. Sorry for letting you down.

The 'discovery room' was surrounded by black curtains. The ceiling was some sort of black veil. However, once you walked upstairs inside the warehouse (where the demonstration of M cars doing donuts had taken place), you could look down onto the discovery room, vaguely noticing the shape of the F90 M5 through the black ceiling veil because of the lighting spots. Almost impossible to decently photograph in the dark, slightly peeking 'through' the black veil ceiling. Gave it a humble try though (see below).

Name:  f90-m5-evernt1.jpg
Views: 10813
Size:  72.4 KB
Name:  f90-m5-evernt2.jpg
Views: 10715
Size:  189.2 KB
Name:  f90-m5-evernt3.jpg
Views: 10678
Size:  225.8 KB

Name:  f90-m5-evernt4.jpg
Views: 10320
Size:  391.9 KB

Name:  f90-m5-evernt5.jpg
Views: 10292
Size:  205.8 KB

Name:  f90-m5-evernt6.jpg
Views: 10093
Size:  132.3 KB

Name:  f90-m5-evernt8.jpg
Views: 10126
Size:  182.5 KB

Name:  f90-m5-evernt9.jpg
Views: 10116
Size:  196.2 KB

Name:  f90-m5-evernt10.jpg
Views: 10142
Size:  262.1 KB

Name:  f90-m5-evernt11.jpg
Views: 13089
Size:  221.7 KB

View from the upper floor when looking down onto the "discovery room" (vaguely showing the car through the black veil ceiling):
Name:  f90-m5-evernt12.jpg
Views: 10096
Size:  66.7 KB

EDIT 1: Couple more photos posted by GregD below:

EDIT 2: the CAD renders that surfaced in October 2016 (source: see here) have a pretty striking similarity to what I recall having witnessed (though - alike several renders - the M2/M235i style side mirrors are inaccurate - the car on display featured the modern M design cue of the 'upper stubby/stalk'; those looked more robust, less elegant, than previous M side mirror designs):

Name:  CAD_Image_01.jpg
Views: 6651
Size:  120.3 KB

Name:  CAD_Image_02.jpg
Views: 6544
Size:  126.1 KB

Last edited by Artemis; 05-25-2017 at 03:05 PM..
Appreciate 18
Pentium184.50
DRTMGRT328.50
drexplode1762.00
M2Dynamic183.50
ddk632583.00
matowi173.00
gmfive98.00
Dawko191.00
KevinM2931.00
YungDro1088.00
spuntyb4051.50