United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 / F15 50i

Garage List
2020 BMW M5  [10.00]
2014 X5 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
I searched Car and Driver road tests and while every tester likes CCBs, the 70-0 stopping distances did not show any consistent gains. The distances varied even among CCB tests over the years so it is hard to nail down any improvement that is just a few feet. One test commented that the CCBs took 5’ more than the magazine’s last steel brake test.

I think track driving, which probably less than 1% of M5 owners do, would show measurable gains. Probably slight initially, but drive hard enough long enough and the steel brakes will heat up and fade before the CCBs. Again, nothing anyone will see in their street driving.

Worth the money is relative. $8k means more to some than others, and even assuming we all have it to spare, what we choose to spend it on varies. Less dust, less squeal, less weight are all reasons, as is the lifestyle statement that one has the highest performance brake option.
This is likely due to the ceramics not being up to proper temp. This are racing systems on a pedestrian car. They steels will stop better out of the gate but after a couple laps the ceramics heat up and turn into glue compared to steel. And they don’t fade. CCBs are for the track.
We like them better for our cars because of dust and lack of appreciable wear and tear. But let’s not get confused they don’t really see “significant” improvement unless on the track.

But that dust is a B and they are gorgeous compared to rusty iron especially after a wash or rain storm!
'14 X5 50i (wife’s now)
Appreciate 1
MackSea70781.50