View Single Post
      10-08-2008, 01:41 AM   #1
aznshrek88
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i SG

*Warning (rant alert) Do School Rankings really matter?

I'll be honest; I thought that coming to USC was going to be a truly awesome experience and for the most part is has been. But now I'm recruiting for a full-time job and am struggling to even find a position or availability. I attend a top 20 University; the # 4 ranked accounting school in the US, which is under a top 10 business school. I know my grades aren't stellar, but I'm not retarded, but I might as well be. I'm not going to reveal my numbers, but I'm a student in good standing; I work hard and am graduating with 150 units for the CPA.

All the recruiting around campus has been flying by and I've landed I interview; just 1st rounds...

I really feel that if I had just stayed at a state or JC I could have just gotten a 4.0 there and gotten a secure job. I attended a couple of classes back in freshmen/soph summer and aced those classes with no problem and now I'm just struggling to find a job. Some of the recruiters I talk to give me the impression I'm just attending something like SMC/PCC/Saddleback and I might as well have seeing how recruiters respond or don't even know about the accounting program here.

I admit, I let my grades slip; but I feel if I was competing with someone from a state/JC or other college (I'm not saying they're below me; but that I've taken a lot more classes and I'm pretty sure more advanced accounting) that I could outperform a student with a 3.5 or even a 4.0...but recruiters seems to care less.

Does anyone else who's graduating or is in college feel this way??

I feel I'm better off--->

I mean I transferred from a lower ranked school for a better education and more opportunities, but feel so left out. I'm graduating with 150 units so I can sit for the CPA ASAP, and I've been working my ass off; even if I'm not getting the grades I still have been and understand the material. I've done everything I feel like I can do to better myself and feel the school really through me under the bus.

I paid over 100k for my education and I'm struggling to find a job.... AS A BEAN COUNTER (I know the economy is bad, but really if your looking to audit or do tax as a 1st year you really are just sampling cash, A/R, etc. the easy peasy jobs) Does that really take a college education???

I know if I ever get there that managers, seniors, etc. need that knowledge of tying everything together, but its not like I don't understand how the B/S I/S and R/E all tie together and that the bank recon, etc. needs to be looked at. ppl keep telling me 90% of the job is learning on-site and you use what you learn from school, but most of it is learned. (Point being: how does someone not find a job as an accountant?) EPIC FAIL

And that's why this thread is a rant...
Appreciate 0