12-10-2020, 09:21 AM   #210
Used2be
Perennial PFC
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 DG/Aragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by windtendo View Post
Quick update... Car went in for its scheduled service and a state inspection. While it was in I asked them to check out an issue where the car would die immediately after starting, maybe 5% of the time. I had chalked it up to a bad tank of gas, so I didn't think much of it. They performed some recall work, reprogrammed something, and then it wouldn't start. They filed a claim with BMWNA and recommended a full engine wiring harness replacement which must come from Germany (a 2+ week shipment) and then drop the engine out in order to perform the replacement (1-2 weeks labor). Looks like the car will be a nice Christmas ornament in the service bay for the rest of the year . This was definitely not an expected outcome from the service visit last week, but here we are.
What a drag to have happen! You probably have a good relationship with your dealership, so perhaps this isn't an option. After their work on your car it wouldn't start at all, but before it would die after starting a small % of the time, and then restart without a problem? Is it possible it's something they did and not the wiring harness? I've never done this and of course it might damage your relationship with the service manager, but is a second opinion possible from another service shop? Independent or BMW dealership?

I only make the suggestion because pulling the engine is such a major event, and could lead to other complaints afterwards.
Appreciate 0