View Single Post
      10-10-2023, 05:02 PM   #7
NewX7
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 35i, X7 (ordered)

Sorry I'll just add a few more things. Playa Hermosa is in north Guanacaste and Tamarindo is in the middle. They are both on the coast but not really connected--there is a road called 911 (aptly named) that is very narrow, windy and busy and you may need a 4WD and some cahungas to do a deep river crossing outside of Potrero depending on if it has rained recently. Otherwise, you need to drive all the way back to Liberia to travel between the two regions, so not really practical for a short trip. So you'll likely either be in the Playa Hermosa area *or* the Tamarindo area, so take note of that depending where you book.

All up and down the Pacific coast the beaches are some of the most beautiful in the world so I'd plan time on exploring different beaches depending on what region you wind up in. Tamarindo and south of Tamarindo is where all the surfing beaches are. North of Tamarindo towards Potrero and as far as Las Catalinas (as far as you can go before you have to go inland back to Liberia to go further north) the beaches are calm, clear and swimmable with 90 degree water. Many of the beaches have natural shade available from the jungle and are usually not very busy. We haven't been up to the Playa Hermosa area yet, but I'm pretty sure those are swimming rather than surfing beaches too mostly. You'll be able to book fishing, diving or snorkeling trips from any of the major towns along the way.

The town of Tamarindo is a somewhat grimy surfing town and full of aging surfer expats who may not have seen a shower in a few days, but it also has good restaurants and nightlife. The beach itself there is not as beautiful but the beaches south of there are amazing and some of the best in the world for surfing. The beaches just north of Tamarindo are all stunning as well.

I've heard that Hermosa is more the "resorty" area so most likely where you'll wind up if you get an all-inclusive. Just be sure to get out and explore, especially the beaches and definitely book a fishing or snorkeling trip since that's all there really is to do other than long multi-hour excursions outside of the area!
Appreciate 0