shawnhayes
Major
Rep
Drives: 22M5 CS,23X5E,24M3 CS,24 i4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kstadt911 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnhayes View Post
They did pretty well on the track, but heated up a great deal from cold temps and were hard to predict final pressures.

They also got pretty greasy when they got hot...

Like this...

But this is heavy duty track work at VIR. Not your normal driving.

Shawn
Thanks for great info. So are you happy going with R888s for M5 and Any other track tire to consider? Are you using one set of stock wheels and dismounting back to street tires between track events?

Also, did you change to SRF and how did rotors and pads fare?

What other street or track cars did you surprise at VIR with your M5?
Although the R888's stood up to the track wear better than the 4S's, final pressures were very hard to get right, and the tires overheated and were too greasy after 35 minutes on track (just like on my old GT-R). Overall they are a great tire. My next tire will be the Pilot Sport cup 2's, also in 285/35R20 square setup.

All in all, if I were going to do just track work extensively, I'd stick with the R888's, but I have about six events per year. Unless the Pilot Sport Cup's outperform the R888's on overheating I will probably go back to the stock tire. Despite having A LOT of rollover and giving up a fair amount of grip, they are very controllable and pretty fast.

I did change to SRF. The pedal still faded some, but I think we have "brake fade compensation". I felt the car correct some of the pedal height while braking. The front pads last six full track days without making the wear sensors. I have now worn OUT, two full sets of rear pads. On my third set, I turned off DSC to conserve pads. The car is pretty good without DSC, and not as hard to control as I thought it might be.

The biggest surprise was probably to the Porsche cayman's. I think they were surprised that I was able to not only keep up but pass. Especially in the turns. But I was in some really fast groups.

Shawn
Appreciate 0