View Single Post
      05-07-2008, 10:50 AM   #20
MVF4Rrider
PCA, BMWCCA
Rep
Drives: 997S, MV Agusta F4, E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fair View Post
Fanboi Alert! Fanboi Alert! Fanboi Alert! Fanboi Alert!

Well, he had a point. Most companies don't use stainless steel for strut bodies (or other suspension members) because stainless alloys are softer and weaker than most other alloys of steel. Making struts out of stainless is a "bling thing" and something you won't ever find on high end racing shocks.

Go look up some materials characteristics of 304, 316 or the 400 series stainless alloys. These alloys are considerably softer and weaker than 4000-5000 series alloy steels, so they have to make their strut bodies and flanges thicker to meet the same test and durability standards. Meaning: heavier. I can show you scale weights of a KW vs. another company's identical strut body that's significantly lighter, if you like... and I can show you examples of bent stainless steel strut bodies and mounting flanges, too.

But do the suspensions on the Le Mans cars have much in common with yours? Not really, no. SCCA is the biggest motorsports racing organization in North America, with Pro and Club level road racing as well as Solo autocross competition - the highest participated competition motorsports event in North America. Many of the racing classes in those events use cars that are much closer to a factory built car. Again, we crazy Americans like to race a lot, and we have a lot of folks doing it in a lot of different organizations and tracks - more than in Germany, by a whole lot. There are 3 road racing circuits in the city I live in. How about yours?

FIA GT and WTC are as far removed from your street car as an F1 car. SCCA (and NASA and BMWCCA) road racing is much closer to what most people here have - a track, dual purpose, or street driven BMW. Don't scoff at something you don't know much about or have never done just because you live in Germany and have the Nurburgring to brag about (have you even driven on the NR? raced there in competition?).

Arrogance? Wow, - pot, meet kettle. He was just excited about having a new suspension on his 1 series, which is brand new in North America - I didn't see arrogance. Idon't like the lack of knowledge in your posts. KW sells twin tube shocks, so try not to brag too hard. Even Koni makes monotubes, if you can stomach their prices (28 series). As do Moton, Ohlins, Penske, JRZ, AST and others - all of which you will find on a race car before you will find twin tubes, if the racing class allows them.

Go learn more about shock technology before you come here blasting some company's marketing drivel as gospel.

Well sure, compared to some on that list of shocks they do fare pretty well. You left out Tein! :biggrin:

Nurburgring is a legendary track, no doubt about it, and I've run there myself - its awesome, and extremely challenging to drive. Can't argue that. But being such a massively long track that is often under water, is very hard to drive consistently lap after lap. With those big variables I wouldn't say its the end-all-be-all test track in the world, but it does seem to currently hold that spot in a lot of people's hearts. Most of that is good marketing.

And the TCK shocks the OP has now are built for TCK by Koni. No one here is questioning the quality of shocks built in the Netherlands or Germany. I'll be the first one to agree with you that shock technology is headquartered over there. The US-specific shock needs DO differ from German needs, however, due to our much higher participation levels of competition racing, differing roads, and especially our differing road laws (DOT vs TUV). The US market is just in the last month getting our first 1 series models to test with. Sure, German and Dutch shock makers have had a leg up with these car models, since they've had these 1 series cars released there for quite a bit longer. So what? The 3 month head start you brag about doesn't matter for very long.

What do you do with your car, Mr. Balls? Track events? Autocross? Hard Park? Germany doesn't have grassroots competition events like autocrossing or even Club Level road racing, that North America has in such abundance. There's just a lot fewer competition events held there than here. Just curious what you do with your KW suspension that you are so in love with. :biggrin:
To each there own. You and this aren't worth the key strokes. We could go round and round all day. Ultimately, it's a free world (what I do for a living ensures it). I'll like/buy what I want and you're free to do the same.

FWIW, Germany has what I like, and that's hardcore motorcycling. Cars suck.

Cheers!