View Single Post
      05-07-2008, 01:54 AM   #14
Charles1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redwood View Post
My negative against Koni is they don't tend to last that long before needing a rebuild. Monotubes (AST + others) are more durable. I speak as somebody that needs to rebuild his Konis (from TC Kline no less) and wishes he had bought some nice monotubes in the first place.
Redwood: Point well taken, thanks for the advice. I understand Koni builds shocks for all street & racing needs including some very high-end bits. I think ppl forget about their complete lineup focusing only on yellows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balls View Post
Wow...only 3 months after KW completed there specific testing with the E82! KW will even make valving changes to order per you individual need. They can do anything and have the racing pedigree to back it up (and not historic pedigree like Koni). They are the choice late model roadracing suspension company for good reason. I'll trust their engineers over all else every time. Don't be a rebel, KW is the better product by a longshot.
First off I never said a bad word about KW. My comment was made in regards to the members wanting a tuned complete suspension package vs. a simple “sport” spring and an off the shelf shock. Additionally suspension that handles well vs. low and stiff.

Having tried some other coilovers I will stick with Koni. I don’t see this as the rebel move. Koni & eibach’s kits are currently running in various racing classes and OEM set-ups of their so-called competitors.

In the end a proper shocks and springs are only a small part of the overall handling of a car. Proper tires, wheels, alignment, and driving style all come in to play.

I will be at the Autox SCCA nationals if you want to test your set up verses mine. Until then lets all get along.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWeber View Post
while KWs are nice, comments like "They are the choice late model roadracing suspension company for good reason" and "KW is the better product by a longshot" are a little over the top. for BMWs TC is a premier suspension tuner. and check out places such as bimmer world and turner motorsports. three of the more renowned BMW race car builders. KWs best selling point is the stainless construction and almost all high end shock manufacturers will do custom valving. I'm not trying to knock down KW they have a great product. but others are right there and when it comes to geometry and engineering there are better.
Well said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by and1 View Post
congrats on the new suspension set up!

please let us know how they are... where do you plan on going to get your car corner balanced?
TC Kline will align and corner balance the car.
Appreciate 0