View Single Post
      04-05-2017, 07:28 AM   #1
rjn
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

M2 at VIR track report

First time for the new car, at a new (to me) track, with all kinds of weather guest instructing with the Tar Heel BMWCCA last weekend. Summary and a few thoughts below:

Car configuration:
2107 DCT
Stock tires & suspension
Only mods: GC camber plates, Hawk DTC70 pads, 4 point belts

First ever time at VIR, so still on learning curve, but 2:12.3 best on Full course during the Sunday instructor session (light but non-zero traffic). There were clearly a few seconds left to find next time back.

Take away impressions and thoughts:

Car: is a truck load of fun. Drives very much like my E36 track car, but with more power, more brakes, and softer suspension. No doubt firmer springs and track wheelset and this car would be very fast and ratted out in no time!

Camber plates: Ground Control adustables, set to -2.75, and already paid for themselves in tire savings. Three days, and the front tires looked great. Swapped side to side on Sunday, and was very pleased with wear distribution. Haven't bought track wheels yet, and wanted not to destroy the outside edges. VERY satisfied

Brakes: Big stopping power all day long. No issues. Installed Hawk DTC 70s before the drive down. May actually go to a less aggressive initial bite pad next time, as I'm now 100% left foot braking and that foot still isn't as fine motor coordinated as my right, but big stopping power from high speeds

4 point belts: Schroth QuickClip Pro - Combined with stock seats, held me in place well and allowed use of my HANS. No brainer for me

DCT: A first for me. Picked this option for the quicker shifting and ability to left foot brake ALL the time to allow higher/more consistent high speed corner entry speeds, and finer weight transfer control. Verdict - PF awesome! I felt like I could fix anything - under and oversteer, on the way in, mid corner and on the way out with either foot. Wow. Really loving that, and using it, particularly as a first timer at this track.

In the end, had a great weekend in a really nice street car that can play on tracks too far from home to drive the track car, and 27 mpg, A/C and Bluetooth audio on the way home. What's not to like?

Last edited by rjn; 04-27-2017 at 09:48 AM..
Appreciate 5
IS350117.00
koastal375.50
DrKevM52274.50
Bosozoku693.50