View Single Post
      06-28-2016, 08:49 AM   #1
KTM
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i xdrive

Building from scratch - Machined Intake Manifold

Hello,
I'm in the process of building up my E90 335i Xdrive and have been baffled by the price for port injection kits or the Evolution of Speed intake manifold w/ PI. Therefore I'm looking to build my own. I'm starting the manifold design right now and am looking to hear from you folk with more N54 experience. What type of features would make your 'ultimate intake'? Structural integrity and flow characteristics are obviously my principle concern, for which I will fun CFD/FEA simulations on whatever design I make to ensure a safe and high-performance intake manifold.

As of now I'm looking to include ports for adding fuel injectors, redesigning the flow path from the air box, ensuring equal runner length/cross-sectional area, and maximizing the plenum volume. What other things would you want if you were to be starting from scratch? I've seen the STETT intake for these cars and am highly considering designing around that cold-air intake as it frees up so much room for the manifold - any input on this?

I have wrought 6061 stock and a machine ready to go whenever I get this design done, so I'm really looking to do this quickly. As such, does anyone have an engineering drawing of the intake ports, or a model of the original intake? If not I'll snag a used OEM manifold to laser scan and re-engineer.

Thanks!
Kyle
Appreciate 0