Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 991S & 2013 M3 CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by walile View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Db750 View Post
2. AT THIS POINT WE ALL KNOW THE COMP PACKAGE IS COMING AND PRETTY MUCH EXACTLY WHAT IT WILL HAVE (because other than stupid trim pieces it's always the same). What the hell is the reason to wait one single model year to put it out other than screwing loyal customers who aren't as in tune with the brand!?!? It's time to do like MB and release the comp package along side the "normal M" (since we have to pay extra for the comp package for what used to be a normal M) and let's preferable not wait until damn near LCI time to do it!
If someone is a loyal BMW customer or a BMW fan, wouldn't that individual be aware of the Competition Package, likely content and release time frame?

I wouldn't spec the Competition Package just like I would avoid the Carbon Ceramic Brake like a plague, but that's just me. What BMW is doing is offering a slightly different flavor of the M5 at a price that most people wouldn't pay for. Not to mention the possible sacrifice in passenger comfort.

Are you equally frustrated when Porsche releases the GT3 RS some months after the GT3?
Absolutely not. And the reason being that the typical NEW BMW M5 driver is a 50+ year old male business owner or Cxx who wants to get a taste of his weekend 911 to spice up his mundane commute to his 15 hour work day. He also has a wife and three kids at home and would laugh at the idea of having time to post on an online car forum. He might make it out to C&C once a year, but that's all the time he has for his love of cars now that he's no longer able to stay in tune with the brand like he could in his 20s and early 30s.

Bimmerpost land is a dream world that only exists online. Every person that has posted on this forum in the past month could quit buying BMWs and it wouldn't even register on the monthly sales report. However Mr Brand New M5 above accounts for a very large percentage of new bmw purchases because his wife leases a new X5 every 3 years (hope she doesn't get pissed off by the short life cycle of the current model all in the name of cost reduction), and he will also buy a used CPO 3 series or x3 (and purchase the maintenance plan) for each of his three kids so they can continue to live a shrivel of luxury when they go off to college. If they like their BMW experience they will do the same when they grow up.

Bottom line your typical new BMW m5 owner is not on this forum!

With regards to Porsche there are many flaws in that argument (not to mention allocation issues) the main being that if I purchase a GT3 I get a GT3 same as I did ten years ago. The same can not be said for buying a first model year M5. But there is no point in comparing a low production focused sports car to an "we will make as many as ordered" family sedan designed to cure Mr Money Bags midlife crisis during the work week. You're comparing an options package that cost sub 10% of the new purchase price to a limited production car that depending on time of purchase could easily cost 2x the GT3!
Appreciate 1
sward631.50