ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton250 View Post
It’s actually not the dealership doing it. They are facilitating it. It’s a professional mobile company that repairs interiors. Just like they have a dent guy. It’s not the actual dealership but vendors. I guess my biggest question on this thread was after you guys seeing the pictures is this a major deal or not? With my OCD I can’t handle it. I’ll just drop the coin and replace the whole inside door panel if I have to. However, like I was saying, the senior technician at my BMW dealership tells me he sees worse then this fixed all the time by this repair company. It’s not that I don’t trust the young mans word I would just love to hear from some of you that have possibly had similar experiences with similar repair companies.
This would personally drive me nuts, especially on a brand new car, so I get it. I think the best thing to do if you want to go the repair route is get on the books with the dealership/their subcontractorp and speak to the individual that comes out to do it. If it doesn’t feel right, just decline the service and go with replacement as suggested by micvite.

Obviously a totally different thing, and a totally different dealer, but my dealership uses a subcontractor like this for wheel repairs. They happen to be the best wheel repair service I’ve ever encountered. This doesn’t shed any light on your situation, but outside contractors at a reputable dealership will probably typically be fine.

On an unrelated note, I have a very expensive leather ottoman that got a puncture that I absolutely can not nail down how exactly it happened. It was custom made for my home and the manufacturer did not have access to the specialty hide it was constructed out of. It was essentially unreplaceable. Way worse damage than this. I contacted a reputable three generation family owned leather repair company that all the expensive furniture companies (think Restoration Hardware, Ligne Roset) in my area use. They repaired this thing so well you could never tell. Maybe it’s worth reaching out to a reputable leather repair company, rather than an automotive upholsterer (like what I think the subcontractor your dealer is using is). Unconventional approach for sure, but you may feel better in the hands of someone like that if you don’t want to go the replacement route.

EDIT — The second set of photos makes it look not as bad as I initially thought. I think a reputable place can repair this, whichever route you end up going.