View Single Post
      08-24-2007, 09:47 AM   #60
GoingTooFast
Banned
Rep
Drives: fat cars are still boats
Location: compensating a fat car with horsepower is like giving an alcoholic cocaine to sober him up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advevo View Post
123d has EDL 120d not.

My understanding the EDL will not cut power only brakes the spinning wheel.
Correct!

Quote:
If you go to a track day bring a set a rear brake with you i quess youre rear pads will be gone very fast when driven hard. Or do a nice drift day on wet. Youre rear pads will be gone so damn fast.
Wrong!

Quote:
On 335i after march 2007 production they wealded the final drive to the opendiff. So you need a new finaldrive if you can find one which you can bolt onto the diff.
Maybe this is because after March 2007 the 335i got the Dynamic Performance Control diff. (aka E-LSD)which is a mechatronic system where the final drive is combined with two superimposed gearsets and two electronically controlled multiple-plate brakes (one for each wheel):

So, it's NOT your rear pads that may wear-off but these multiple-plate brakes on the differential itself, just like the multiple clutch plates do in a normal LSD.

All the ABS system do is providing the sensors for detecting wheel spin.

The mechatronic system takes up to 100 milliseconds for generating the maximum breaking force. And, regardless of the drive power generated by the engine the maximum difference in forces between the left- and right-hand rear wheel which can be built up by the system is 1,800 Nm. This defines your percentage of locking.

This setup also means that at NO engine torque (with the clutch disengaged for instance) you still benefit from the locking effect as opposed to what would happened with a mechanical LSD where you were basically driving with an open diff.
Appreciate 0