View Single Post
      01-20-2022, 10:03 AM   #24
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer110! View Post
I would imagine most on here have not experienced euro MDM which in my experience is night and day to US spec MDM. I’m not sure why all the comments on “not safe” to run in 2WD mode though? My lightly breathed on F10 gets run in Euro MDM mode, DSC off for both M1 & M2 modes just maxed out shift and dampening settings on the M1 mode. Other than the wife’s M50i X7 I’ve never owned a 4 wheel drive BMW although I plan to order a F90 through Dan Knight once the world goes right side up and all currently non available options become re-available.
F80 M3 and F10 M5 can’t put the power down under as many circumstances as the F90 M5. Sure, good tires, good road, good weather they do fine. But take any of those away and those cars are losing time over where they would be with AWD. That is why I love AWD for big power, especially performance oriented AWD like in the F90 where it will automatically run in RWD unless and until AWD is needed. It’s fun spinning and sliding — I have been doing it for 30 years, but I don’t feel the need very often in this big heavy luxury sports sled.

Sure traction control and RWD can work well, but no way is it as fast as AWD in a straight line. On a track in ideal conditions, maybe. There are probably some guys who have run an F90 in AWD and RWD around tracks and posted the time differences.

And of course, enjoying your car is not all about maximum speed. If you prefer RWD and reducing speed when necessary below what you might achieve with AWD, that is fine. But then I might ask why you bought an AWD car. If I preferred RWD, I would probably have bought a CTS-V or Blackwing or whatever they are called now.
Appreciate 1