Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X5

Garage List
2016 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWCCA1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmack123 View Post
You do realize the label "M" is arbitrary correct? Or can you give me the exact performance specs etc that constitute a "true" M? They label the SUVs with the M badge because relative to their competition (including the other non-M SUVs in their lineup), they are geared toward higher levels of performance. In other words, relative to their competition, they are designed to outperform their class in the same way the sedans are. I guess we will agree to disagree here.
"M" was the shortened version of Motorsport. BMW by virtue of their moving from "Motorsport" to simply "M" is admitting this is marketing and not a designation reserved for sport cars. The boss of the new named division is the "M-Brand" manager.

They could have stuck with "M-sport" for those SUVs that are "geared to a higher level of performance". Or what happened to those "M-Performance" models that BMW recently decided really were "real" M-cars all along?

BMW isn't alone in this brand inflation. Mercedes puts AMG on nearly anything from wheels on a 4-cylinder A-Class car to an entire beast of a sedan. And now we have Alpina trucks, for Dog's sake. Ford is probably more true to their names by reserving SVO and Cobra for only limited models.

If anyone does not interpret this as the dilution of the BMW Motorsport division with its distillation to "M" stuck on anything, then I submit they've not spent enough time around BMWs. They missed seeing the 3.0CSLs and the 320i Turbos race with four-feet of flame coming out of their exhausts at Road Atlanta. They probably don't know the derivation of the colors and circle segments in the original Motorsport badges.

They can do whatever they want with their bloated trucks, but it is a sacrilege to play on the Motorsport heritage in doing so. It's just ///Marketing.
First off, unless you are a professional racecar driver, and using your M car as such, then the "Motorsport" designation is pointless. 99% of people are either going to occasionally track their M car or never track it at all, let alone use it for "Motorsport". The M designation therefore was never about true Motorsport. Any M car being used for professional purposes is going to be so heavily modified that it is not even a "true" M car anymore - it is a racecar. What you are purchasing is a STREET car, designed for driving around on the street (likely in accordance with speed limits). No offense, but thinking otherwise are purely delusions of grandeur.
Appreciate 6
AlexFL7837.00
D22M21373.50
Frosty780.00
530iDriver1707.50
TripleU170.00