12-30-2010, 09:48 AM   #6
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus7 View Post
Being hard drive based is actually one of the factors that turned me away from ordering the BMW NAV. I suspect that the HD is well shock mounted, but from an engineering point of view, a delicate, shock and temperature sensitive device like a spinning hard drive really has no place in a tightly sprung vehicle. Solid state drives of an appropriate size have been around for long enough and are low enough in cost to be the correct solution, and probably will be standard very soon. Spinning HDs have a limited life (have you backed-up lately?) in fixed location desk top computers, and a generally shorter life in moving laptops. The physical conditions in a car are not the best environment to place a HD, even a "rugged" unit.
I agree re. solid state but I'm not surprised. It's taken car manufacturers long enough to catch up with ipod connectivity and DAB. But don't worry because when your HD reaches the end of its useful life, your local BMW dealer will kindly replace it for you for another $2,000!

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0