02-07-2022, 11:30 AM   #54
irablumberg
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M5 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarEnthusiast29 View Post
I don't understand the arguments here. The M5CS is clearly a faster car than the M5. The rolling race tells the story. Someone posted another video on this thread and the CS clearly pulls hard on the M5C there too. It makes sense considering it's lighter and definitely probably has more than 10hp over the M5C. Another thing I find hilarious is people keep saying it's not worth the price tag. Name one car for 145k if you paid sticker that's a better performing car. The M5C is a great car, it has more luxury than a CS and for the price tag is insane. But unless you thoroughly drive the CS you won't understand why it's a better performance car. It's like my SVJ vs an aventador S, on paper you would think no way it's worth it. Go drive both and it feels like a completely different car and then you would understand why the SVJ is special. The CS is special. And for what the CS brings to the table, the mark up above the C isn't a lot at all. My two cents.
In general, I think most of us agree that the CS is special and that at MSRP it is fairly priced compared to what a Comp would cost when configured as similarly as possible.

The frustration with this particular video and with other comparisons that have been published is that many of us would like to see a true apples to apples comparison to understand the actual performance increment from the Comp to the CS. Such a comparison would require first and foremost a fully functional M5C which was clearly absent from this Carwow video. Beyond that, the M5C should be equipped with the 789M forged wheels (not the cast boat anchor wheels often seen on M5Cs) and CCBs. To keep the weight down as much as possible, the M5C should also not include the exec package. Of course, such an M5C may well be a unicorn (particularly with the exclusion of the exec package). Nonetheless, that would be the best possible comparison as it would showcase the difference that the CS treatment makes. Of course in such a comparison, the CS should also be run on the same PZero tires as the Comp. If such a comparison was ever to occur, I would hope it would include timed laps on a road course as well as straight line acceleration and braking tests. We do have one data point in the 'ring times although it is unclear if anyone has run an LCI M5C on the ring. Regardless, the CS has a 6.03 second advantage over the published M5C ring time, which is good but not as good as I would have expected.

I see we now have one more data point. Again a pre-LCI M5C on street tires vs. the CS on PZ Corsa track tires. This time in C&D's Lightning Lap where the CS had a 3.7 second advantage. Again, a good result, but not as good as I would have expected.

Last edited by irablumberg; 02-07-2022 at 11:40 AM..
Appreciate 0