10-20-2008, 11:21 PM   #7
JAJ
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 Shelby GT500

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucid View Post
All is good, so it's OK.

1. When you say "pry the caliper body out from the car" do you mean just pull the caliper body away from the car and compress the piston so that the pads have room to wiggle around and come out,

2. My track pads were worn to the degree that the pad wear sensors were activated. I didn't have time to investigate how they work. Do they simply wear out so that an open curcuit is generated?

If that's the case, I am assuming the sensor needs to be replaced? Is that enough for the break light on the dash to go away, or does it have be reset electronically?

You went through this procedure on the E92 M3 yourself, right?
1. To be clear - you are correct - the "pry" direction will be pulling the outer pad away from the rotor toward the outside of the car which will push the piston back into the caliper body. When the pads are "loose" and free to "wiggle" the caliper body (#1) will just lift away from the "carrier" (Item #2). The reason it's called a "floating" caliper is that the piston and pad assembly literally floats on the carrier and is held in alignment by the locating pins (#6 and #7).

2. The pad wear sensor is an insulated "pin" that is inserted into the pad body. When the insulation is worn off, the pin touches the rotor and completes a circuit that turns on the light on the dash. Changing pads with the used sensors will work, but the sensor may corrode and not function correctly the next time the pads are worn out. Replace them if they've been "set off" by wear. In earlier BMW's, there was no need to reset the Chassis Computer - in the E92 I don't know.

3. Yes - I've put new pads on my E92 M3 - they were Pagid Yellows (RS19) pads, and some time in the next two weeks I'll put the factory pads back on now that track season is over.

Front calipers and rear calipers are built the same by the way - the front pins (#7 and #6) are different lengths while the rear pins are not. Otherwise, no difference in the process, although the rear pads and calipers are smaller than the fronts.
Appreciate 0