View Single Post
      08-21-2017, 03:24 PM   #92
F85FTW
Private
Rep
Drives: x5m

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5 View Post
I just noticed the listed curb weight. 4,254.9lbs!! That's great! Ok, they did a good job. I also noticed that at least the hood is made out of aluminum as well. But no aluminum doors, no carbon fiber trunk either. At least the roof is CF as well. But I really can't complain too much. A 4,254lbs weight beats every other competitor except the 2016 Cadillac CTS-V, but the F90 M5 has AWD too which adds weight, so this is quite exceptional, I have to say. The 2018 Mercedes E63S comes in right at 4,400lbs and the new Panamera Turbo is like 4,412lbs. The 2016 Cadillac CTS-V is right at about 4,134lbs I think. Had the F90 M5 been RWD only, I am sure it would have undercut the CT-V's curb weight too.

So really, probably the best things about the F90 M5 are its AWD system and the great reduction in curb weight. This makes it a significant car to beat. This also puts the F90 M5 about 650lbs lighter than a Tesla Model S P100D, which means that once the F90 M5 is aftermarket tuned to levels of power equivalent to the P100D, it will be faster.

Everything else aside here from looks, to the side view mirrors, and them re-using the S63 engine, this reduction in weight is what I believe the greatest accomplishment!! Bravo M Division, Bravo!
Haven't you guys learned your lesson already? BMW and almost every car manufacturer understate the real weight of the car. We went through this already with the release of the M4 when BMW claimed it was in the 3,3xx range but in reality it was in the 3,5xx to 3,6xx range. I wouldn't expect much of a weight difference between this and the F10 with the addition of all wheel drive and an auto transmission.
Appreciate 0