View Single Post
      02-26-2008, 04:00 AM   #14
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by E82TT6 View Post
In a Turbocharged engine, the turbos are in the exhaust flow. Exhaust flows over a turbine, causing it to spin. This turbine is connected to another centrifugal turbine in the compressor housing. As exhaust gasses cause the the turbine on the exhaust side to spin, the compressor turbine also gains speed, and compresses the air moving into the engine, increasing the amount of oxygen per unit of volume, by cramming more air into a given unit of volume.

After the exhaust gas flows through the exhaust turbine, it exits the turbocharger into the "downpipe", this pipe carries the exhaust out of the engine comparment down to the rest of the exhaust. Catalytic converters are typically integrated into the downpipe.

By replaces the down pipe with a unit that allows for more flow, and removes obstructions like cats, one can promoted faster, more efficient exhaust gas flow. This is particularly important in turbocharged cars, since the engines are always working under high pressure. By reducing exhaust back pressure, exhaust gas can be more efficently evacuated from the engine. This allows for several things. It allows the air from the intake to flow into the engine faster, increasing the amount of air that can enter the engine, allowing for more power. It also results in gas passing over the exhaust turbine side of the turbo faster Since it's moving faster, it transfers more kinetic energy, causing the turbo to "spool up" faster.

I hope that made sense.

As for "pills" he's talking about a "Hot Pill"(H-Pill), which is something that only the Juice Box uses. Since boost in our car is controlled by a computer, changing the eletric signal entering that computer can increase the amount of boost that the turbo developes. The H-Pill is a resistor that alters the electrical signal slightly, causing a slight increase in boost pressure.
Dude I can't tell you enough how glad I am you posted that. Wealth of info you are Mate.
Appreciate 0