01-17-2019, 03:43 PM   #56
soooma
///MD
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5 F90

Quote:
Originally Posted by josec70 View Post
I had 2 F10 M5's (13' and 15'), both of which ran piggys from Day 1 w/ zero issues. These were not RC (Velos, Active) but you get where I'm going.

On the other hand, I was part of an F10 M5 Group in South Florida where I saw first hand 5 blown engines on tuned cars. Tuner and owner are a big variable as the blown engines were from several different tunes and set-ups and each owner has a pre-established expectation regarding what kind of HP increase they seek.

Some will argue a proper tune is safer but my experience does not support this. I've known many folks running piggys and not one have blown an engine. DTML's and other codes yes, but not one blown engine.

The tune versus piggy argument has been beaten to death so no need to expand on that; this is simply my personal experience.

Vic and others have said it well:

If you're concerned about warranty, detectability, reliability etc. then neither option is for you. If I had to choose a safer route, I would start w/ a piggy and see if that satisfies you; you can always tune later.
Well said!
Appreciate 1
josec704074.00