View Single Post
      12-15-2019, 07:34 PM   #31
Stealth7
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: No BMWs Right Now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aronis View Post
Hello, just finished my F90 oil change. It took me about 2 hours due to set up, work, clean up, etc.

Oil Filter is passenger side, drain plug driver's side at rear of engine. Easy to get at each without removing anything, which is very nice. Good clear drainage from each sight also, but a little splash spill as you pull the filter housing off.

Items needed.

Unless your mad, good set of ramps. I have seen videos of people doing this kind of work on Jacks and/or Jack Stands. D'ooh. And I have had patients in the Trauma Bay who did this kind of work on Jacks and/or Jack stands. I wish I had a lift.

8 MM Allen Wrench (I used a small hand held one but had to back it up with a wrench since it was very tight) and picked up an 8 mm Allen socket when I ran to pick up the adjustable filter wrench. The one I had already was the smaller version...d'ooh.

86 mm socket for the oil filter is preferred, I used the adjustable one as I could not find an 86 mm one locally, that is coming in 2 days from Amazon for the next oil change. I should have bought it with the oil kit from ECS but thought I could get one locally. But no.

Oil Filter with o-ring and seal for oil pan plug. ECS sent kit with Oil, filter, and new oil pan plug. Was $152 shipped. It came with 11 Liters, but the car calls for 10 Liters. I think ECS was thinking 10.6 QUARTS, so they sent 11 bottles which are liters. So I have extra. LOL.

The drain plug is under a nice cover. Comes off with a quick twist. The filter housing kind of looks like there is supposed to be a cover over that also, perhaps someone can peak at their's and let me know.

Torque specs for drain plug 25 NM (18 ftlbs) and the same for the filter housing, which is basically hand tight.

The filter housing had about a 1/2 liter of oil in it when I took it off, maybe close to 3/4, so be careful, and let it drain inverted before pulling the filter cartridge out or it is messy.

I have to go for a ride (30 minutes)before I can check the oil level. I put in 9.5 liters and have the other 500 ml waiting as I did not want to overfill.

Mike
Great thread and photos. I used your pictures to order my oil filters from BMW.

Do you happen to know the part number or model number of the 0-30 W Mobil 1 oil that could be used as OEM? For example, does it have or require dexos to? Again, thanks for the great work!
Appreciate 0