11-24-2015, 11:01 AM   #275
Matski
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: A slow BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_328i View Post
With BMW going away from their hallmark characteristics and trying to build cars to please everyone - as an enthusiast customer, I am looking for a new brand that will cater for me as an enthusiast.

When I watch a new video on a Porsche GT car with Andreas Preuninger describing the detail of their new car, this is truly fantastic and makes me aspire to own a Porsche, not a BMW.

I used to get this with Albert Biermann at BMW M and he's gone off to Hyundai now which says a lot.

For me, Porsche and Alfa Romeo are the ones I have my eyes on.
Not trying to tell you that your opinions are wrong, but I think this is a case of seeing what you want to see. Alfa have done very little in recent times but sell ugly small hatchbacks, and if you go further in that article...

Quote:
We have to find more customers, and the way to do that is by providing what they want. Fancy niche models will not contribute very much to our stability.” He does not say “like the 4C” but it is clear this is what he’s thinking.

Where are these new customers? Wester slips into the ‘professor’ guise he wears rather well. Last year, he explains, around 90 million cars were sold worldwide. Nine million were premium cars – and a remarkable two-thirds of those fell into just four sectors: full-sized saloon, full-sized SUV, mid-sized saloon and mid-sized SUV. Who can be surprised that Alfa plans to launch products in these classes to build its eight-model future?
So it's pretty clear that Alfa Romeo is going to end up with the bones of a product portfolio that is fairly similar to the main stream. Given that the majority of their products over recent decades have been FWD, other than mentioning the Alfisti what have Alfa done to prove they are any more deserving than BMW?

Porsche is a different case perhaps, they're a sportscar maker that has branched out into SUV's and the like to survive. BMW were never a sportscar maker first and foremost, and have always branched out in order to survive.
Appreciate 0