View Single Post
      01-08-2020, 08:14 AM   #10
subterFUSE
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 Audi R8, 2023 Audi S8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM5W View Post

I've never had a Black car. I didn't know it's such a nightmare to keep clean.
It's not that it's harder to keep a black car clean. It's that black is a color that reveals surface flaws more readily than other colors.

Any swirl mark on a black car is going to be visually accentuated because of the dark background.

That is why it is so critical to have a corrected surface before doing PPF or a coating.

Quote:
Why would I need to get paint correction before doing the PPF? The car is brand new and I haven't even picked it up yet.
Even a brand new car that still has the shipping plastic from the factory on it will need a paint correction. You would not believe how much contamination and dead paint can be on a new car paintjob when it arrives.

However, the most likely problem is that the car dealership will have washed the car and detailed it prior to your picking it up, and that's where the real damage happens. Detailers that work at car dealerships generally have no clue how to properly clean and maintain car paint. Only the best professional detailers can be trusted with that. So by washing the car, your dealer will have added swirls to the paint that will require a true professional to correct.

That is why I always tell my car dealers that there is a "no wash" request on my cars upon arrival. I tell them I want the car delivered to me dirty. No one is to wash it, buff it, wipe it down or even look at it the wrong way. I prefer to have the plastic still on the paint.

Then, I will get the car transported to my detailer and they are the ones to clean it up and prep it for PPF and coating. My detailer has a covered trailer and will pick up cars and bring them to his shop.

This is why I am doing performance delivery with my M5. My detailer is located outside Atlanta, and by doing performance delivery he can meet me in Greer to put the car directly onto his trailer. It makes the trip shorter for him.

If you drive the car for even 1 mile on the road before getting PPF, you are opening yourself up to potential rock chips. That's why I never do it. If you absolutely must drive it, stay off the freeway and don't follow anyone too closely.

If you get a rock chip before doing PPF, the options are not good. You either have to live the the chip and put PPF over it, and you'll always see it. Or, you have to fix the rock chip which might require painting. If you paint a car, you can't put PPF or coating on the fresh paint for many weeks because the paint has to fully cure. New paint will outgas and if you put PPF or coating on top too soon, the gas will be trapped underneath and will look flawed.
Appreciate 0