01-24-2019, 10:39 PM   #27
vtknight
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 F90 M5 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic55 View Post
Phatcat soooma

So I have had the NSX since Oct of 2018... I purposely have not posted much about it so I can clear out any favorable placebo events that so many have when he or she first get a car. It clearly was a "Im bored" acquisition but I did do some research and 3 extended test drives.

Is the NSX a great 180k msrp car? Not at all but its got some worthiness based on the market and what it does for me in the 130-140k new cost range. Some thoughts:

* Its a good launching car, it grips well off the dig even with the shit Contis. Its not going to out trap a stock or tuned M5 but this car is not your straightline racer per se. Will the car still rip to 120 plus- sure but the 3 electric motors shut down at that point and you are all motor (500hp motor and 80 or so hp electric). Whats best about this car is the response with the motors. From a dig its like a baby tesla with immediate tq and then going into and out of turns under 100; the car just responds. A measurement probably not much used but I enjoy is the 30 to 100 number and I feel this car shines here. The throttle response is incredibly fast for a turbo car and the electric engines dial in the response. Its definitely a niche segment but it works. From a performance perspective it does a lot of things good and a few things great.

* It has the mag ride which I love and its really comfortable. The seats lack multi adjustments but they are still very good and I have no issues on longer drives. The visibility in the cabin is excellent; its worlds ahead of the Huracan and better than my R8/GTS/GTS PCar. It really allows for a great line of sight. The steering isnt 991 good but it nots heavy in understeer and does a pretty good job mating up with the chassis and suspension. It drives solid and can definitely be used as a daily although I would not pick the car for such usage.

* The exhaust is weak. I knew this going in and have replaced the highly restrictive 600 cell count dp's with 100 cells. The gain in sound is amazing and the car sounds like it should from the factory based on the price and looks. Its an easy fix.

* The interior looks nice but the infotainment is archaic. Its like they adopted the 2014 Acura NAV and processor speeds. Thankfully I didnt buy the car for this. As I mentioned the seats, while lacking some finer tuning adjustments, are very very comfortable.

* I like the looks, its not like much out there. Its different and wide. Next to my 991.2 GTS its wider and more aggressive front to rear. I dont have problems with the lower front cowl where I live but I can see where some would rub/scrape the front fascia. A lifter would indeed help like I had my Huracan and 991.1 GT3. It has some wide swinging side mirrors that cover all the blind spots but do not electronically fold and I have to be careful when pulling it in the garage.

I have the V10 R8 and its tuned, arguably faster than the Plus, but I get the mag ride and the V10 song; its an amazing car and the every day Huracan IMHO. I also have the other cars to complete what I like in personal preferences. The NSX compliments what I have right now and getting 30k plus off msrp makes it an acquirable taste. Once I did the exhaust it was a different beast. Its at my shop now getting a piggy back tune on the motor part and we shall see where it goes and how much faster.

Its still a formidable car from a roll and really is aggressive in those mid range up and down speeds (30 to 120). Will it be a quarter mile champ, hell no. Will it crush in the half mile- no f'in way but Im enjoying the very attractive blend of looks, modified sound, and true driveability.

As you know Brooks posts legit races and this one caught my eye pre buy:

and my car:

after the 100 cells

What can I say? Amazing, detailed review. Thank-you for the effort. I am surprised you can piggy the tune on the motor without worrying about the electric motors. Hybrids have always scared me away because of the electric motor witchcraft.

There is talk of an R version - which would be cool - so I will keep an eye on it. Your exhaust note is night and day - and I agree - that is how is should be from factory. For the crazy msrp drop - it really is a no brainer - and seems like a fun car to drive.

I checked out Brooks' site and the car I saw in the 10's is tuned. He also has another video of the "worlds quickest NSX" running an 11.2 at 124 MPH. This video below shows it in the M5 CP range - 10.9's and 127+MPH. He touches the 10.8's (10.89 at 127.44 MPH). As a comparison I ran 10.93 at 129.5 MPH in my M5 CP on crappy Pirelli's.

So you are correct - straight line no - but a ton of compensating racing bits - more road course focused with that instant torque (which I can imagine on tight turns is very handy as you say). And again - for the price...

Appreciate 2
soooma1373.00
Vic5518961.00