View Single Post
      03-16-2023, 02:06 PM   #13
T0RM3NT
Mr. Irrelevant
Rep
Drives: '23 G80M3CX Dravit/Silverstone

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMcLellan View Post
I think you are in a good spot with Lance and Purdy battling it out assuming they come back from their injuries unscathed.

As a Vikes fan I'm split on Cousins. He is super reliable and can throw the ball all over the field and win games. The last two season he had a crazy high amount of 4th quarter comebacks and wins so there is something to him, but he isn't mobile. So when crap breaks down he can't run away from pressure and/or improvise too much. And he couldn't fill in the gaps for the Vikes defensive issues. But, Cousins on the 49'ers with their amazing defense and Shanahan's offensive brain?? That would be a scary team.

Yes, I think Cousins is solid and reliable and the comebacks you mentioned kinda dispute my thoughts on him being more of a game manager. There's just nothing about him, to me, that makes me go "wow!" That's just my opinion...it doesn't make it right, just an opinion. However, as you mentioned, with the defense the 9'ers have and the offensive mind of Shanahan, he could be special.

I'm slowly realizing how much we make out of players in the NFL being great or being good doesn't always hinge on just their individual talents. So much of it is the surrounding cast, the system they play in, their coaching staff, and the synergy with all of those above and more that can make a good player, great. And of course, it can also make a great player, good if they don't have the benefit of some or all of those factors.

It's part of what makes team sports so interesting/fascinating to watch, especially at the highest level.