Rep
Drives: M240/M5/X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by F32Fleet View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan View Post
The "typical" BMW driver is driving an M2 or 340 these days. The new BMW driver is the Hyundai driver who shells out 10% more to get a BMW badge and gets an X1/X3 etc.
I'll admit I don't know or fully understand the US market, but living around BMW since the 1970's in the UK, note the changes and trends in the market over here.

We had a move years back, to more folks buying into the premium sector, where the Germans excel. BMW became the company car driver's choice, from the most humble, through to the top end models. One key reason, costs. With decent residual values, discerning fleet managers, saw how to keep the employees happy, at the same time controlling fleet costs, not changing much over the mundane brands. BMW has been a successful high mileage workhorse, whatever model level users have been driving.

Private buyers also aspired to own premium brands.

Yes, BMW has been rated as the 'driver's choice', just as Merc gained a reputation for being a 'Taxi', over here in Europe. Audi has had a slightly different following. Many choose the VAG brands, Audi the obvious top end choice. I have to say many BMW cars (just like Merc and Audi) are not performance models. Largest sales are for the smaller capacity engines.

Due to the high percentage of company car use, fulfilling comfort, luxuries, tech', connectivity, (BMW, Merc & Audi) are high on the list of priorities. This trend has been going on for 20+ years. It's only going in one direction, from my observation.
In the US 1/3 of all sales are leases. Almost every luxury German is initially sold as a lease. Lexus is really the only luxury brand which has a large contingent of long term ownership.

IMO the average car owner in the US wants the lowest cost of ownership with durability a close second. US car owners can't eat a $5k repair bill on a vehicle that's less than 6 yrs old.
They just don't have the liquidity.
They own the car only if it has warranty, otherwise they can't effort it. Lol
Appreciate 1
F32Fleet3539.50